Short bio & links
Roger Keith Barrett
Born: January 6, 1946 in Cambridge, England.
Died: July 7th 2006 in Cambridge, England.
School/education: Morley Memorial Junior School, Cambridge High School For Boys, Camberwell Art School
Guitarist, singer, songwriter and cofounder of Pink Floyd in 1965. contributed to the first two Pink Floyd albums and the early singles before he was gradually replaced by David Gilmour in 1968. He was finally left out of the band because he became more and more unstable probably due to drug abuse and the pressures of fame. After Pink Floyd he had a short-lived solo career but is still regarded a true genius of music by many fans. Musicians like Brian Eno, David Bowie and others tried several times to help Syd Barrett back on his feet.
Pink Floyd wrote Shine On You Crazy Diamond as a greeting to Syd Barrett. Syd Barrett lived a quiet life in his Cambridge home until he passed away peacefully on July 7th 2006.
Pink Floyd releases with Syd Barrett
- Arnold Layne/Candy And A Currant Bun
- See Emily Play/Scarecrow
- The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
- Apples And Oranges/Paintbox
- It Would Be So Nice/Julia Dream
- A Saucerful of Secrets
- The Early Years (box)
Links to Amazon.co.uk
- Random Precision: Recording the Music of Syd Barrett 1965-1974
- Embryo: A Pink Floyd Chronology 1966-1971: A "Pink Floyd" Chronology, 1966-71
- Lost in the Woods: Syd Barrett and the Pink Floyd
- Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of "Pink Floyd": Syd Barrett and the Dawn of "Pink Floyd"
- The Lyrics of Syd Barrett
- Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head
- Psychedelic Renegades: Photos of Syd Barrett
- Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd: Dark Globe
- Madcap: The half-life of Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd's lost genius